While it is true that the spell itself can be highly individualized, there are certain components that must be in place if you want your spell to work. The absence of just one of these components can short-circuit your magickal working before it has even started. First of all, what is a Spell?
What witches refer to as a “spell” is a magickal working designed to bring about some sort of change, to bring something into existence that did not exist before, or to remove something that is causing harm. This practice is often referred to as Magick. As Witches, we cast spells not only for ourselves, but also to bring healing to our communities and loved ones, and to help bring solutions to various circumstances we face in day-to-day life. There are many intricacies involved in spell-casting, and I will save that for a future article. For now, I would like to focus on the four main ingredients that are necessary for all successful spellcasters. I will also share a few things that can sabotage your spell. At the end of this article, I have recommended a few excellent books for those who wish to learn more about the art of spell-casting.
Shall we begin?
1. Before you begin your spell, the first thing you must do is alter your consciousness. By using meditative techniques such as controlled-breathing and visualization, you can change your brain wave function until it reaches a state known as “Alpha”. Alpha is a state in which you are relaxed, yet still aware, but in a sort of ’daydream’ state. While in the Alpha state, you are more connected to the unseen realms, and you are better able to both give and receive psychic information. Since your connection to the astral realms is deepened by the Alpha state, it will be easier for you to effect change within those realms. The expression “As Above, So Below” illustrates this connection. Before something can manifest on a physical level (below), it must be first be present on an astral level (above). Your spell is the catalyst that places it there. You can alter your consciousness in other ways, such as drumming, chanting and burning incense.
2. Next, you must have a clear intention for your spell. Know exactly what you want, and focus on that specifically. Visualization will help with this a great deal. If you can visualize, your magick will work better. It is important to focus on the outcome of your spell and not on how it manifests. For example, when I moved to Pennsylvania, I needed a car desperately. We went to several car lots and looked around before buying. My intention was to get a used car that would be primarily for transportation to/from work, and I would apply for a car loan. I was a little concerned because my credit at the time was not that great, and I had been turned down for car loans before. In one lot, we found a purple car that I really liked, it didn’t have many issues to be concerned about, and I decided that’s the one I wanted. During the next week, I cast a spell to get this car and spent many hours visualizing myself behind the wheel, turning on the ignition, driving the car, my hands on the steering wheel, listening to the radio, talking to friends in the car with me, etc. I lived my life as though the car was already mine. It is important to include as many details as you can in your visualizations. Try to involve all of your senses: especially touch, sight, smell and hearing. Make it as real as you can make it in your mind’s eye. When we went to get the car, my loan was approved, and everything I visualized came to pass. Whatever your spell is for, you must be clear in your intention. If you need money to pay the phone bill, and you cast a spell for abundance, you may end up with an abundance of spoons or cockroaches. You cast a spell for abundance, after all, and that is what you got. Magick takes the path of least resistance, and you were not clear in your intention. Abundance and prosperity are not quite the same thing. It would have been better instead to cast your spell for the amount needed to pay the bill, with visualizations of receiving the stamped check or the statement showing the bill has been paid. If you cast a spell to get a new job, but you haven’t decided what kind of job you want, then you will get many offers that may not be to your liking. Clear intention is the key.
3. The next important component of successful spellwork is a strong will. It must be something you really truly want and not having it is unacceptable. If so, then you will be emotionally invested in it. It must be firmly rooted within you that you want this in your life, and you won’t give up until it is. An assertive mindset is like a magnet that draws things to you. Using affirmations is a big help. Saying things like, “I now have all the money and resources I need”….”I am now working at my new job at…”, “Here I am, driving my new car” will help to affect these changes on an astral level. If you believe it, the Universe will conspire to make it so. When you’re ready to cast your spell and you have a clear intention and a strong will, everything goes into high gear.
4. Lastly, you must have an effective means of raising and directing energy. There are many ways to do this. Some write an incantation or chant that they repeat over and over. Some like to dance around the altar in a circle. Others beat a drum and sing, while others like to burn magickal herbs and written spells, releasing them out into the Universe to manifest their goals.
Raising energy in an Alpha state while visualizing the manifested outcome, with a clear intention and a strong will, and then releasing that energy out into the Universe, is the most powerful combination of elements required for effective spellwork. (There are other things that can add energy and power to your spells. See the recommended reading list at the bottom of this article.)
There are things that can wreck your spell, so it is important to keep these in mind.
* Energy was not raised or dispersed properly.
*You really don’t believe it will work.
*Your intention is unclear.
*You’re talking about the spell you cast with other people. Say nothing about your spell with anyone until it has manifested into physical reality. Negativity from others can damage your magickal working, so keep silent about it.
*Your will is passive. The outcome wasn’t really that important to you.
*Lack of real-world follow up.
*Your correspondences (herbs, crystals, moon phase, etc) are scattered. In other words, they have no magickal link to the outcome.
*When you cast your spell, you were pre-occupied, distracted or in a hurry.
*Your spell is violating the free will of another person.
Recommended Reading for Spell-Casters
Energy Essentials For Witches & Spellcasters, by Myo Om
Spellcaster: Seven Ways To Effective Magic, Edited by Elen Hawke & Martin White
The Outer Temple of Witchcraft: Circles, Spells and Rituals, by Christopher Penczak
True Magick, by Amber K
Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic, by Phyllis Curott
Exploring Spellcraft: How To Create and Cast Effective Spells, by Gerina Dunwich