The Modern Witch
Witchcraft has evolved over the centuries, and those who today identify as Witch in our modern times are part of a colorful tapestry of traditions and practices. You will get varied answers on what defines a “Modern Witch” depending on who you ask, but I will share my own personal views.
- Modern witches are intelligent, and aware of the mindset and prevalent attitudes of the culture and community they live in. They have a grasp of local and world events, and the importance of these events on mundane and magickal/spiritual levels.
- They are aware of how they present themselves to society, and they interact with their communities in a mature, responsible manner.
- The modern witch understands that one cannot achieve enlightenment or any kind of magickal growth by being passive. They are constantly growing, changing, evolving. They are unafraid to “push the magickal envelope“, exploring new and creative ways to work their magick, to manifest their goals into reality, and bring healing and restoration to their communities.
- The modern Witch acknowledges his/her ancient roots, honoring the Old Ways while at the same time embracing modern magickal concepts. We do not forget where we came from, and seek to preserve the lore and lessons of those witches, wizards and magickal folk who lived before us, and in whose footsteps we now walk.
- Modern witches have a deep concern for the Earth and the environment, equal rights and animal rights, and are actively involved in the preservation of these.
- They are life-long students of magick, always seeking to develop and strengthen their skills in the magickal arts.
- The modern Witch is a balance of both Light and Dark, and understands that both are needed for wholeness.
One of the primary goals of the Witch from ancient times to modern day, is and always has been to serve others as a channel of healing, wisdom and transformation.